I seen this really cool dresser top on Pinterest which I have linked to below. I have never worked with stain before so it was a new experience for me.
I had this dresser that has been passed down in my family for a few generations. It was a whole twin bedroom set with a hope chest and all.
I knew when I moved back here I was going to use the dresser. I was also very aware that I would need to refinish it in some way.
I knew that it was going to be real wood underneath because of its age but I assumed it was just regular veneer. Turns out it was not exactly the case
It was a double layer of like a thin plywood and a real wood veneer all in one. It was glued down so good in some areas and not at all in others. It took a long time to get it all off. I am now regretting stripping the drawers as well because I just painted them anyway and they were a real pain.
By the time I was down getting it all off I had huge bruises on my knuckles.
I eventually got it all off and started sanding. It was really interesting to see how it was put together. The top actually had 3 pieces a crossed it. There was all kinds of notches and dings in the wood. Some were from me trying to get the glued top off and other huge ones were already in there.
I started to pencil in the design. With in 2 hours I had this really cool top. These are both still in the process before and during fixing some of the lines and before finishing the center of the flower.
I finished with a bunch of really thick clear coats.
This idea was taken from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/297659856591167512/
I thought the idea was too cool and needed to do my own right away. My first piece might not be anywhere near as cool as theirs but my next one (a table) will be better.